Friday, September 25, 2009

Tales of a Chicken Wing Childhood

No matter what you have previously been told, children from Buffalo, New York, are not born in the typical, sprouted-from-the-mother’s-womb fashion. They actually are spawned directly from the chicken wing. That’s right. We make our babies extra-spicy and coat them generously in blue cheese.

Ok, I might be exaggerating a little bit. Who can fault me for that? I just think that if you understand the importance of the wing, you will understand the true nature of a Buffalonian. We can all be explained through a few simple chicken wing rules:

Rule #1: If you call it a Buffalo chicken wing, it’s not a Buffalo chicken wing. It may say “Buffalo Chicken Wings” on the menu, but that is just a trap to identify foreigners. True wing-eaters know that it’s just “a wing.” There is no other kind; you do not need to specify that it is either from a Buffalo or, in fact, the wing of a chicken. This is innately understood.

Rule #2: Wings are a simple food. They generally come in four categories: mild, medium, hot, and can’t-feel-your-face-for-a-week. Wings are not supposed to come in strange varieties like spicy honey barbeque and citrus garlic. They are made of chicken, butter, and hot sauce. That’s it. Frank has been making them that way at the Anchor Bar (according to the hot sauce bottle) since 1920. You don’t mess with a legend.

Rule #3: Wings are appropriate for all occasions and times of the day. The wing meets the requirement of each food group in the pyramid. It is made of chicken (protein), hot pepper sauce (fruit), and served with blue cheese (dairy) and celery (vegetable). Add a beer (grain) and you now have a balanced meal. Buffalonians have been known to consume wings at picnics, football games, baptisms, church gatherings, work functions, weddings, etc.; my family even has them for dessert after the Thanksgiving meal has settled.

Rule #4 (the most important rule): Spice matters. We raise our children to be tough. Everyone knows that mild wings are for teething infants and retired nuns. If you are not eating hot wings by the time you reach the second grade, you will get beat up at school and at every cartooned-themed, roller-rink birthday party until you have toughened up and joined the ranks.

My point in all of this is that a Buffalonian prides himself on being a Buffalonian. We’re blunt. We’re simple. We’re hot tempered. And we have a tendency to exaggerate our stories, or at least choose details that enhance our experiences. For instance, I may talk about the five foot drifts of snow at the bottom of my driveway, but leave out the fact that the low sections of snow only come to mid-shin. And while I pride myself on my sarcasm, I know that sometimes I use it to cover up some more serious emotions that lay below the surface. I will not apologize for this. It is the Buffalo way.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, darlin'-face, this is AWESOME! Love it as a blog, but it must be printed somewhere, too. You are educating the world, you know. Comes with great (and grave) responsibility.

    You've made me officially starving! Since I now live in Michigan where they believe "Buffalo chicken wings" are breaded, baked and served with RANCH and CARROTS (What the...?), I'll have to survive on my lunch of, well ... bananas today. (Depressing, I know.)

    I'll be reading. Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also "From" Buffalo. I've been from Buffalo since 1979 when I left there to pursue a career. While on this main pursuit, I have been on a second search for the "Wings" that got away.

    The first rule when you enter any establishment: If they proclaim they have great "Buffalo Chicken Wings" - they're wrong. Like the Buffalo Girl says, plain and simple, they're called wings. And if you don't even know that about them, how the hell do you know how to make 'em? ...YOU DON'T!!!

    Now, I do remember there was this one wedding rehearsal party in Kansas City. Well sonny, it was 'bout '84. yep... that's right. Back then 'wings' were still pretty much unknown outside of western New York. A quick phone call to a processing plant netted us 30 pounds of wings. The proprietor was glad to be rid of them, as he said, "There only good for soup".

    A trip to the wholesale club for a deep fryer and Franks hot sauce. Now that's the secret to a successful marriage.

    Here's to traveling home for some great wings.
    ...John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well put, Caroline! I especially like rule #1. I cannot stress this enough to people! Last year, while we were still living in Florida one of my husband's co-workers suggested the two of them go get some "sodas and Buffalo wings" for lunch. Needless to say, an explanation quite similar to your rules quickly followed. My husband told his co-worker that he should take a trip to Buffalo and try ordering such nonsense and see what happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I laughed out loud! Especially when I got to the part about being hot tempered, blunt, etc. People in Virginia think I,m rude. What would they do if they ever moved to Buffalo!! They would be overcome. The good side of us is generosity, fun loving, willing to help (push people out of a snow drift. Haven,t had to do this in the three years since I left 'Our fair city.')
    cant wait for the book Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to that sister. You crack me up. The other thing about people from Buffalo is that we love to talk with people we don't know and feel like we have known them for ever.

    Those of us who know and love you think you are doing great!!!! I am passing you on to my friends. Keep it up. We need to laugh everyday

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay girlie, I am late reading this. I think I may have to change my saying from "Don't make me get my south buffalo on" to dont make me break out my chicken wing. Right the damn book already you are a superstar and since we all know it, let the rest of the world realize it. love your youngest aunt.... or 9 of 9 or sus

    ReplyDelete